Today I have a powerful story to share with you, and I can’t wait for you to hear it! This is one of the last of my 2020 Boston Marathon mama series, and it’s one of the most impactful! Today’s guest knows what it’s like to have many ups and downs as she goes after her goals. The struggles she’s faced probably would have made most of us quit, but she is determined and keeps fighting to achieve the dreams she sets for herself.
A big part of Wendy Braithwaite’s story is her diagnosis of MS. She was diagnosed with MS in 2002, while living in the majestic Canadian Rocky Mountains. MS was a shock, and with no family history, it was an enigma, and a new battle to fight. She had a difficult time in the beginning, but had great medical care, and stabilized over the years.
Her main goal is to cross the finish line on Boylston Street one day, and she’d like to do another ultra, even though she said she never would do that again. Wendy learned that you should never say never because, otherwise, you may end up doing exactly what you said never to! Ha ha, I’ve learned that lesson many times as well!
Listen to the full episode to go in-depth with these Thursday Tidbits:
- How she hasn’t let MS keep her from doing what she loves and what she does to keep going when she has hard days.
- What strategies she uses when struggling with her pre-race anxiety, which can sneak up on her days in advance.
- Why mental toughness and strength training played a huge role in her qualifying for the Boston Marathon.
- How she created a whatever-it-takes mentality and disciplines herself to do the hard work.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
Links Mentioned in Episode
Wendy Braithwaite is a fluently bilingual (French/English) Human Resources professional working full-time for the Canadian Federal Public Service. She’s been married to her husband who is also a marathoner, for 17 years, and she’s also a mom to a beautiful and talented 13 year-old daughter who is a competitive all-star cheerleader. She is her pride and joy, and Wendy will always forego a long run to attend her out of town competitions – She’s also been known to do long runs on hotel treadmills.
Subscribe and Review in iTunes
If you’re not already subscribed to the Red Hot Mindset Podcast, I encourage you to do that today to ensure you don’t miss an episode. Let’s step into the fire and come out stronger! Click here to subscribe on iTunes. You can also subscribe on Spotify | Stitcher | Castbox | Google Podcasts | Amazon.
If you resonated with this last episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Reviews help others find my podcast and add it to their own library. Be sure to tune in because I may even feature your review on an upcoming episode! I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.
How to write a review:
- Go to “Shows” in the Apple podcast app on your phone
- Search for and click on “Red Hot Mindset”
- Scroll to the bottom to “Ratings and Reviews”
- Give the podcast 5 stars & select “Write a Review”
- Share what your favorite things are about the podcast!
Step into the fire and come out stronger!
If you want to stay at the forefront with me, sign up for my newsletter where I bring mindset, goal-setting strategies, and encouragement directly to your inbox, and you will be in the know for future podcast episodes!